Sunday, October 29, 2006

Heroscape

My 8-year-old got the basic Heroscape set over the summer, and I have to say it is by far the best $40 we've spent in a LONG time.

I recall with crystal clarity (and equal distaste) the AD&D miniature I "painted" in 8th grade for a contest. While I was quite proud of "Hanse the Thief" (with a shout out to all the Thieves' World fans out there), my miniature-painting skills are best suited to rendering characters near the final stages of leprosy. Imagine my surprise when we pulled a couple dozen superbly-painted miniatures from the box. And the surprises kept coming...

The rules were simple, the gameplay engaging and the game is expandable. 6 expansion sets later, my son is still avidly saving his money for the next one. Using terrain pieces and assembling the battlefield is equally brilliant. Granted, it lets Milton Bradley sell new terrain pieces ad infinitum, but it lets you add variation to the game whenever you want.

The last piece that impressed me was the army-building. I'm still trying to get across to my son the benefits of assembling an army from complementary characters, but at least this game helps him think some about strategy rather than just stronger-army-beats-the-crap-out-of-weaker-army.

If you're looking for a visually appealing mix of Risk and AD&D with reasonably simple yet engaging gameplay, Heroscape (http://www.hasbro.com/heroscape/) is definitely for you.

3 Comments:

At 9:04 AM , Blogger Bill said...

As a father of six, grandfather of ten, and great-grandfather of four with another on the way I applaud your purchase of forty dollars and even more the teaching of saving to your son.

The reason I am commenting to you is that I had seen a commercial from IBM that asks for new ideas. Mine apply to the understanding of why people do the things they do. I just do not know what to do with the understanding I have. I do not seek fame or fortune but I do seek the end of child abuse and abusive children. You spend forty dollars on a game for your child while others because they did not have a father like you can not find forty dollars to buy their child a coat to keep them warm on a cold day. The forty dollars is of little importance what is important is the effect it has on the child. There is nothing that occurs without reason and the biggest stupidly is that parents abuse their children because they want to, prisoners are in prison because it was their childhood dream, and the homeless sleep on steam grates because it has been their life’s ambition. As with computers, it is a case of GIGO and just like computers what is inputted and how it is arranged that will determine the result.

I do not know if you can point me in the right direction or even if IBM would even be interested in my thoughts but I thought I would comment to you blog and wait for a reply.

Thank you
Bill
mailto:wmjf43@earthlink.net

 
At 12:14 PM , Blogger Mike Burr said...

Bill,
I'm a bit confused exactly what your point is. Perhaps if you'd care to respond with something a bit more concrete, I can reply meaningfully?

 
At 9:18 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks for this Bill. I was thinking of getting this to play with my sons and based on your post I think I will grab a copy.
Cheers!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home