Friday, March 10, 2006

Quotes from a high school math teacher

I can't recall exactly what, but a few weeks ago something triggered my recollection of a math teacher I had in high school in Seminole, Florida. If I recall correctly, I had him for one semester of Algebra 2 in 10th grade and then again for a full year of Calculus my senior year (1985-86). Besides being one of the better teachers I had in high school, David Everling had an exceptionally dry wit that resonated with many of his pupils. I vividly recall writing down 15-20 of his best witticisms on my newly-purchased Amiga 1000 computer during 12th grade, but that list has long since vanished. Here are a few of the gems from that list that I DO still recall. If you happen to run across this page while googling SuperDave & can recall any additional quotes, please add them as comments!

- "Men, pay attention, you might need to know this someday! Women, you should pay attention too -- you might marry a man someday who needs to know this!" (I never said he was politically correct, did I?)
- "Men, women, Marlo..." (Marlo was a girl in his Calculus class and a common target of his jokes)
- "U is ah....what is you?" (in reference to du/dt calculus examples)
- "I'm so bright my Dad calls me son (sun)"
- "I remember the first time I saw this. It must have taken me a whole 4 or 5 milliseconds to understand it."
- "Where I come from, we learn this in 2nd grade. I come from Krypton."
- "You can't mix apples and oranges unless you're a fruit!"

3 Comments:

At 3:31 PM , Blogger Wayne said...

I am not sure if this is an actual quote or a false memory in the SuperDave style.

Dave: What do we want to solve for?
Class: Y
Dave: I was just asking.

 
At 2:57 AM , Blogger Hassan said...

I had Everling at East Lake High School my senior year '98. It's definitely the same guy. I heard he retired a few years ago. What a loss for future students. One of the top three teachers I've ever had, and definitely THE funniest. "Surely (Shirley), ...." was one of his favorite openers.

 
At 3:32 PM , Blogger Eric Frederich said...

The best teacher I had.
Cats and dogs living together; mass hysteria.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home